Monday, December 20, 2010

A Whacky Find...

In an effort to soothe the pain of suffering through another year's tax return (yes, proven - I am a champion procrastinator), and as I was in one of my old neighbourhoods, I returned to a place that which never failed in warming the cockles of my heart.
Those that know me know that it's usually the simple things that move me the most, but some may not be aware of a quirk I mostly keep to myself and that is my fondness to wander about in odd places, often losing the notion of time, entertaining myself with out of the ordinary treasures that most wouldn't grant a glance.  At times, particularly if left unchecked, I may be found lost in time lurking the dingy corridors of an old hardware store (perhaps the warming familiar smell which would return me to from when I was a kid visiting my grandparents and would rush to help them 'shut up shop'), or delighting in the odd tidbits that someone once owned in a second-hand shop and wiping the dust while thinking (read 'wishing') "I just may have a place for this", or being intoxicated with the smell of fresh stationary in my local Officeworks - I could go on.  Well, yesterday I visited one of 'the' places  - a little fruit shop in Sherwood that is so jam packed with stuff that you have to walk sideways and your nose will prickle if the man next to you hadn't showered recently (the theory well-tested yesterday and he clearly had not showered for at least a week).  But alas, his odour stalking me failed to ruin the joy as I slid from aisle to corner picking up every single jar I saw to analyse the label, sniffing herbs, getting up close and inhaling the aroma of perfectly ripe oversized-overpriced mangoes and imagining the fun I could have if I was a much more clever cook and knew what half the stuff that I smelt and felt was.   Then my comrades, I came across the most peculiar little edible creation I have ever seen.  It's name most fitting I found, but I am not going to divulge too much just yet because I am curious how many of you know what this creature is.  I urge you to have a go.  I won't leave you suffering for too long I promise.
Aunty Trisha- you don't count, well you do, but I believe you will have this one in the bag, and as well, you probably have used it, and most likely during the week before you left!



I would have taken another end on, but I couldn't get the little blighter to stand up and besides it looked rather like a 'rude sign' and I didn't want to have such an unsavoury flavour on my Blog.  Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Yes- you're right, I do know, but I won't let on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This reminds me of when my mum would harvest oddly shaped carrots from her backyard garden. Some of them had lots of 'legs' or 'fingers' like this.

    But I think this one looks like a choko gone wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well after a carefull study by Yil, Lisa, Thom and mel we have a few different opinions:
    Yil: goes for some kind of pumkin
    Lisa: a peper
    Mel: the rotten hand of an old witch dug up from some graveyard here or there.

    Is there any prize involved in this little quest? A trip downunder or something ;-)

    Your trip through the fruitshop sounds lovely. The secondhandshop reminds me of our search for a bowl and cutlery when we went to Carnarvon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked dad and he does not know but if this contains any seeds and you did not cook the thing yet........he'd love some.
    I wonder what recipe you use on it?

    ReplyDelete